Hydraulic winches are miracle machines that allow us to easily tow and lift tons of weight that can’t be lifted by human power. Hydraulic winches offer high capacity pulling and lifting force regardless of rain, snow, cold or hot weather. It is pretty durable and maintenance costs are low compared to electric winches. However, this does not mean at all that it does not require any maintenance. In this part, we will provide a lot of valuable information about hydraulic winch maintenance.
Tips for Hydraulic Winch Maintenance
Hydraulic winches are machines that convert the hydraulic power of the vehicles’ engines into pulling-lifting power with the help of the hydraulic pump, which is the Power Take-Off (PTO), or powertrain method. Although hydraulic winces are long-lasting and durable machines, their maintenance must be done timely and correctly. Otherwise, remember that you may encounter significant expenses.
Hydraulic winces are indispensable parts of hydraulic systems. In case of any malfunction, it is inevitable that your business will be adversely affected. In order to prolong the life of your hydraulic winch and maintain its power, hydraulic winch maintenance is gaining importance every other day.
Hydraulic winches offer high capacity pulling and lifting force regardless of rain, snow, cold or hot weather. It is pretty durable and maintenance costs are low compared to electric winches. However, this does not mean at all that it does not require any maintenance.
Hydraulic winches are powered by the engine of your vehicle. Therefore, torque losses that may occur in your vehicle’s engine will also affect your hydraulic winch. In order not to experience any loss of power in your vehicle’s engine, you should have your engine maintenance done on time.
It would be best if you consider hydraulic winches as a whole with your vehicle’s hydraulic components. Therefore, all hydraulic parts must be fully compatible with each other, up to the hydraulic hose. Do not forget that otherwise, you will shorten the life of your hydraulic winch.
Failures of hydraulic winches are primarily due to user errors and missing the deadline of maintenance time. In fact, hydraulic towing winches do not require much from you. If you follow some simple rules, you can be with your hydraulic winch for many years.
Things to Consider in Hydraulic Winch Maintenance
- Hydraulic winches are perfect machines that convert hydraulic pressure force into action. Many gears and elements work together in the pressure system. High pressure puts these parts into action. Your oil selection is critical to prevent this action from damaging components.
- Choosing the right oil is vital for the maintenance of hydraulic winches. Therefore, consult your winch manufacturer or carefully read the operating instructions of your hydraulic towing winch.
- Wrong oil selection will cause the gears to rub against each other and overheat your hydraulic winch, as well as cause gear loss.
- Using the wrong oil will cause abrasion and friction in your hydraulic winch, the service life of your hydraulic winch will be reduced, and its pulling capacity will also drop.
- Choosing the right oil also protects your parts from corrosion.
- Do not neglect your maintenance time. Negligence of regular maintenance periods of hydraulic winches, also known as hydraulic hoist drums, will shorten the life of your winch.
- Cleaning hydraulic systems is essential. Your hydraulic winch will be with you in all difficulties and weather conditions. Just as you wash your hands and do your personal cleaning, you should also clean your hydraulic systems.
- If your hydraulic towing winch is overheating, there is definitely a problem. Do not continue to use your hoist drum during overheating. Do not risk your life and property safety.
- Overheating occurs if the correct oil selection has not been made or if a load above the load capacity is being pulled.
- Do not pull above the capacity of your hydraulic winch. The maximum towing capacity is mentioned in the instruction manual of each product. A load above this capacity will shorten the life of your hydraulic hoist drum.
- Do not put oil above or below the fluid capacity of your hydraulic winch.
- Change the filters of your hydraulic winch and hydraulic pump when it is time for maintenance.
- Be sure to check your hydraulic hoses, do not continue to use your winch if there is an oil leak or oil outflow. Change your hydraulic hoses as soon as possible.
- Remember that hydraulic systems work with high pressure. Failure in your system can cause skin burns and serious injuries. If there is overheating, transpiration or leakage in your hydraulic winch, do not continue using it. Consult an expert immediately.
When choosing a hydraulic winch, go for the products that are certified and manufactured in accordance with standards. Otherwise, remember that you endanger your life and property safety.
There are many domestic and foreign hydraulic winch manufacturers. You can choose domestic products due to the availability of spare parts, accessible service network and price advantage. Preferring brands such as Hammer Winch, which produce at world standards in our country and export to all over the world, will give you many benefits in the long term.
Unfortunately, hydraulic winches that are not properly maintained will cost you a lot. You can ask us what you want to know about hydraulic winch maintenance. Our hydraulic winch specialist team will answer your questions on short notice.